January 21 through Feburary 27, 2016
Photo Courtesy of Cleveland Public Library
The First Baptist Church at the southwest corner of East 18th Street & Euclid Avenue was erected in 1871. This Romanesque style sanctuary with its majestic parapet tower and spire; massive wall buttresses; distinctive hood molds with corbel stops, corbel table and compound archways served many of Euclid Avenue’s finest families including John D. Rockefeller’s. The congregation in the mid-1920s razed their original structure and built another Romanesque style church down the block at 1900 East 18th Street. This new house of worship was torn down in 1961. Cleveland State University’s Monte Ahuja Colleges of Business and the Levin College of Urban Affairs currently occupy that site. The Jewish Federation of Cleveland in 1965 built its new headquarters there. The internationally-recognized architect Edward Durell Stone designed it. The Jewish Federation remained there until 2010 when it relocated to Beachwood, OH. Edge CSU Student Living LLC in June 2015 purchased the parcel for $3.6m. It plans to build a large student-oriented apartment complex there.
150 Years of Euclid Avenue's Greatness