Gary W. Jamison
Boasting many fine hospitals and a reputation as a medical innovator, Greater Cleveland can also take pride in the medical facilities that have been provided for its wounded sons and daughters returning home from military service throughout the years. In 1811 the first medical facility for veterans was authorized by the federal government, but for the most part, the direct care and medical needs of veterans were met by the individual states and communities.
In 1837, the U.S. Congress authorized the creation of a network of 26 government-owned hospitals to provide medical care primarily for seamen. The U.S. Marine Hospital, which opened in 1852 on Erie (E. 9th) and Murrison streets in Cleveland, was part of this network. It moved to a new location at E. 124th and Fairhill Rd. in 1929 when the building and site were sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad. After 1953 the U.S. Marine Hospital closed down and was eventually given to the State of Ohio. 1959 it was re-opened as a state psychiatric facility, the Fairhill Psychiatric Hospital.
A History of Success & Innovation
Cleveland has had a history of success and innovation when it comes to heart health. Though most people associate heart care with the Cleveland Clinic, other area hospitals, doctors, and researchers were instrumental in the 1950s for making the city a “Mecca” for heart care. St. Vincent Charity Hospital and the Cleveland Clinic were among the first hospitals in the world to open wards dedicated solely to the care of cardiac patients. Surgical procedures that could be reliably reproduced in hospitals throughout the nation and world were pioneered in Cleveland.
Many surgeons and researchers from the city were nationally recognized and many more unsung experts in the city contributed to the tremendous advancements in cardiac care and research. The city contributed to the advancement of cardiac care in three major areas: research into heart conditions, developing technology for heart care, and pioneering surgical and exploratory procedures.