Images of America: Cleveland's Lighthouses
Missionary-geographer John Heckewelder was prophetic in the 1790s when he mapped the place where the Cuyahoga River flows into Lake Erie. He wrote, "Cujahaga will hereafter be a place of great importance". In 1796, surveyors arrived to plot a new town and named it after their superintendent, Moses Cleaveland. Soon Cleveland(the a was omitted on early maps)was a magnet for inventors and entrepreneurs. By 1829-1830, a lighthouse was necessary to support lake traffic spurred by shipbuilding, shipping, and population growth. A succession of taller, brighter structures has guided mariners into the Cleveland harbor, creating a splendid history. Remarkable people have tended these sometimes-silent sentinels through decades of calm nights and dramatic storms, subtly contributing to the region's growth and prosperity.
History | Other Architecture | Urban Studies and Planning
Patterson, Janice B., "Images of America: Cleveland's Lighthouses" (2009). Scholarship Collection. 108.