In the late 1960s, Tom Campbell, Roberta Steinbacher, and others began to forge a new partnership between higher education and the urban communities of Northeast Ohio. Through their persistence, what was once a dream became one of America’s leading centers for urban research and public service.
This history documents the extraordinary contributions of Maxine Goodman Levin to our development. Her generosity and commitment to Greater Cleveland turned Tom and Roberta’s hopes into a robust college. David Sweet—the College’s first dean—then joined with such benefactors as Ruth Ratner Miller to build a commitment to public service, teaching, and research that remains as the College’s guiding light.
The heart and soul of the Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs has always been the faculty, staff, and students who, each year, redefine and rededicate themselves to the dreams and aspirations of the individuals who wanted to build America’s premier urban college. This history celebrates the accomplishments of every individual who has become part of our family.
Simon, Mary Ellen and Petrone, Susan, "Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs: Celebrating 25 Years" (2003). Urban Publications. 0 1 2 3 1670.