OpenCon Ohio 2023 (formerly OpenCon Cleveland)
OpenCon Ohio (previously OpenCon Cleveland) 2023 Conference
OpenCon Ohio 2023 was held on Friday, May 19th, 2023 with asynchronous activities earlier in the week. Links to recordings and an archive of the Conference can be found below. Thanks for everyone who participated in this event!
SAVE THE DATE!: May 19, 2023
Save the date for OpenCon Ohio 2023 on Friday, May 19th with asynchronous activities earlier in the week. Yes, you read that right—OpenCon Cleveland is now OpenCon Ohio. In keeping with the name change, OpenCon Ohio's theme this year will be the Transformative Power of Open Education.
OpenCon Ohio will be completely virtual again this year. OpenCon is an annual regional event which celebrates the benefits of open education to student learning. Faculty, students, librarians, instructional designers, and administrators, especially in Ohio, are all welcome to this FREE series of presentations and discussions.
Scroll down to find the schedule of events.
Keynote Speaker via Zoom!
Maha Bali, Professor of Practice at the Center for Learning and Teaching at the American University in Cairo presents Openness for Emergent "Shocks".
Maha Bali is Professor of Practice at the Center for Learning and Teaching at the American University in Cairo. She has a PhD in Education from the University of Sheffield, UK. She is co-founder of virtuallyconnecting.org (a grassroots movement that challenges academic gatekeeping at conferences) and co-facilitator of Equity Unbound (an equity-focused, open, connected intercultural learning curriculum), which has also branched into academic community activities Continuity with Care, Socially Just Academia, a collaboration with OneHE: Community-building Resources and MYFest, an innovative 3-month professional learning journey. She writes and speaks frequently about social justice, critical pedagogy, and open and online education. She blogs regularly at http://blog.mahabali.me and tweets @bali_maha
The Keynote session is being sponsored by OhioLink, Ohio's statewide academic library consortium.
Call for Proposals--Closed
Proposals were due by April 3, 2023.
Decisions about accepted submissions were communicated by April 14th, 2023. Proposals were evaluated according to this proposal rubric.
Registration is closed. Thanks to everyone who registered for OpenCon Ohio 2023! Registrants will receive details about the event.
Thanks to those who made a contribution to this event! Please feel free to direct any questions to Ben Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OpenCon Ohio 2023 Planning Committee
Cleveland State University:
- Mandi Goodsett, Performing Arts & Humanities Librarian, Michael Schwartz Library
- Barbara Loomis, Digital Scholarly Publications and Programs Administrator, Michael Schwartz Library
- Marsha Miles, Head, Collections and Resource Management, Michael Schwartz Library
- Ben Richards (Committee Co-Chair), Business and Communication Librarian, Michael Schwartz Library
- Laura Ray (Committee Co-Chair), Outreach & Instructional Services Librarian, College of Law
- Heather Caprette, Sr. Media Developer/Instructional Designer, Center for eLearning
- Melanie Gagich, Senior College Lecturer, First-Year Writing Program
- Kevin Dranuski, Senior Instructional Designer, Center for Learning Excellence (CLE)
- Anna Davis, Associate Professor & Department Head, Mathematics Department
- Anna Bendo, Director, Affordable Learning Initiative
- Amanda Larson, Affordable Learning Instructional Consultant, University Libraries
Please feel free to direct any questions to the OpenCon Ohio 2023 Committee at email@example.com.
The schedules of the Live Synchronous Sessions on Friday May 19, 2023 and the Asynchronous Pre-Recorded Lightning Talk Sessions are available below.
If you use social media, please feel free to tag the event using the hashtag #openconohio2023.