Save the Date!
OpenCon Cleveland Conference: Friday, February 28th, 2020
Join us for our third annual OpenCon Cleveland event, back by popular demand! At this event we'll celebrate and explore open education and open access with speakers, panels, and activities. Librarians, library staff, instructional designers, and faculty are all welcome to attend. This event is FREE, and participants may purchase a box lunch. The theme of OpenCon this year is Access to Justice.
Pre-Conference: Thursday, February 27th, 2020New to open education? Hoping for a refresher before joining us at the conference? The OpenCon pre-conference is a chance to learn about the basics of open education so you can feel confident joining the discussions and listening to our speakers during the full conference. The pre-conference is free, but registration is required.
Submit a Session Proposal for OpenCon Cleveland 2020!The OpenCon Cleveland 2020 Planning Committee invites session proposals for OpenCon Cleveland 2020. Proposal submissions are due December 1.
This year we’re making two changes to the event:
- Our focus will be on the benefits of open for student success in the classroom, faculty flexibility in curriculum design, and social equity in our communities. There will be less of a focus on affordability, although discussions about affordability that relate to our focus are welcome!
- Based on previous event feedback, the event will be more hands-on and provide more opportunities for interaction, networking, and active participation.
We are looking for 30 or 60 minute sessions related to our themes (described above). At least half of the session should be devoted to discussion or hands-on activities. Proposals that ask participants to interact with one another and actively engage with the content are preferred, and collaborative submissions with multiple presenters are welcome. All submissions are due on December 1st and decisions about accepted submissions will be communicated by January 15th.
Registration for the Conference and Pre-Conference will open in mid-December.
LocationOpenCon Cleveland 2020 will be hosted at Cleveland State University. The Pre-Conference on February 27 will be held at the Michael Schwartz Library, located in Rhodes Tower (RT building) and the Main Conference on February 28 will be held at the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law building (LB), in the Moot Courtroom.
Travel and transportation
The Crowne Plaza is less than ½ mile from CSU. Attendees can walk or ride the free E-Line Trolley to OpenCon Cleveland.
Crowne Plaza Cleveland at Playhouse Square
1260 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland Ohio 44115
Phone: (216) 615-7500
For accommodations on campus, the Comfort Inn Downtown at 1800 Euclid is another option
Comfort Inn Downtown
1800 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115
Phone: (216) 861-0001
OpenCon Cleveland 2019 Planning Committee
- Mandi Goodsett, (Committee Chair) Performing Arts & Humanities Librarian, Michael Schwartz Library
- Barbara Loomis, Digital Scholarly Publications and Programs Administrator, Michael Schwartz Library
- Marsha Miles, Head, Collections and Digital Initiatives, Michael Schwartz Library
- Ben Richards, Business and Communication Librarian, Michael Schwartz Library
- Laura Ray, Outreach & Instructional Services Librarian, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Heather Caprette, Sr. Media Developer/Instructional Designer, Center for eLearning
- Sam Diomede, Senior Instructional Designer, Center for eLearning
- Melanie Gagich, Associate College Lecturer, First-Year Writing Program
A schedule of events will be available in early February 2020.